Image Map

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sometimes there is just something not right

This is a fairly long post, just a warning!

I went back to the doctor today to get my blood work results. Let me start off by saying that when I called to get the results, I was told that I needed to come back and meet with the doctor. I freaked out. Not just a little, but I had a mini panic attack. I even called my mom crying.

Let me back up by saying that I have been struggling with my weight for a long time. This past couple months have been harder than ever. I gained roughly 15 lbs over the Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas time. I made a change with my eating and working out in January. I have not lost a pound. NOTHING. ( I know that muscle weighs more than fat yadda yadda, but seriously not a lb??)  My bestie told me I needed to go get my blood work done. I remember standing in my parents kitchen crying because I was to scared to get it done. I was afraid something was wrong. (Denial is so much easier in my mind). But I sucked it up and went to get it done. Fast forward to the nurse telling me I needed to come in for the doctor to go over the blood work results with me, I was a mess. The re-assured me that it wasn't anything major or else the doctor would have called me several days prior and would have had me come in ASAP.

When I finally got to the room to see the doctor, I had my notebook (my lovely new EC notebook that I just got) all out and ready. Results showed 2 different things. My triglycerides and LDL's are a little high. Both of those run high on my dads side of the family and are fairly easy to take care of. The bigger problem is my thyroid. My free T3 and my free T4 are pretty low, which is an indicator for hypothyroidism.  After going over several options, we decided to try putting me on a hypothyroidism medicine for 3 months.  After 3 months, I will go get blood work done and see if the numbers have risen a bit.

Once I got back to work, I started to do a little more research. I had learned about hypothyroidism in college but that seems like forever ago. Insert WebMD. Probably one of the best AND worst websites out there. People can go on it and end up thinking they have some type of cancer. But to just learn about something, it is very informative.  I learned that some of the stuff that I thought was just "normal" was actually a symptom. I wont bore you with the details. I just think its interesting.

This explains alot for me, but I am very glad I went to get the blood work done. It is nice to know that my hard work isn't just not good enough, that there is actually a reason I am not losing any weight.  I am hoping that taking the medicine will help, and I can see some changes.  Besides those two things, the doctor said I was nice and healthy. Yay!!

Hope ya'll have a great day.

-Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment