Image Map

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Half Marathon

On Sunday, Jen and I completed our first ever half-marathon.  It was called The Divas Half in Sunny and Beautiful Galveston Texas.

Sunny and Beautiful my butt!! It was cloudy, overcast, 100% humidity and gloomy. Thankfully there was a nice sea breeze that was going on though.

We started training for this half in December. Training went as well as expected. Had some great runs, some okay runs, and some down right crappy ones.  But overall I enjoyed the whole process. It was new for me to run with someone. My friend Julie is a big time runner and way to good/fast for me to have every run with. I enjoyed the conversations Jen and I had during our long runs. So, on race day, I thought I would be good. I had someone next to me that would make it enjoyable.

I was wrong. I don't know if I just had a really bad run, or what, but it was bad enough of a race that I am pretty sure I don't ever want to run a half again in my life.


                                             That me... on the left. I look stupid when I smile that early in the morning.


Here is my mini break down of the race.

1-4 were okay. I started to get tired around 3. Not sure why, I had done some GREAT 8 and 9 mile runs. I am talking GREAT!!

Around my 5, I started to panic about how much was left. I even sent Julie a text.

Me: This is the dumbest shit ever. Never again.
Julie: You're done?!?!
I had to giggle.. I only WISH I was done 
Me: Nope. Thinking of giving up
Julie: Do NOT give up. How much do you have left?
Me: 5 (wishful thinking).... 6 I lied.

This girl is great. She checked on me several times and was very motivating.

Poor Jen though. I was in tears at mile 6 and she stood by me and pushed me along.

5-8 were run/walk. Mostly a shuffle on my end. I have been having some chest pain and wasn't to happy about it. (I am going to the MD on Friday. No worries)

About mile 8 I sent A a text message

Me: If I finish... it will be a miracle
A: I'm sure you will. You're doing better than I ever would :)
Me:

                                                             That's my nope face.
A: haha


Around mile 10 I had a high. You know when people get drunk and start saying " I love you" to everyone? I was there. I kept telling Jen, that I wouldn't be able to get this far with her blah blah blah. The cop got a kick out of it.

10-11 Jen and I pushed through some major winds, and made some friends. This was their 5th half. (Made my secret goal... I will beat them.. I did!!) They were pretty cool, gave me some advice for if I ever get crazy and think of doing another one.

11-13.1. Jen left me in the dust! She had stuck my side up to this point, and I could tell she had it in her to push through faster than me, so she took off. She kept looking back to make sure I was still moving though.

13.1- Time 3:21.

We had a time limit of 3.5 to finish the race. Our goal was to finish in time and NOT be picked up in the bus. We accomplished that!!

I found Jen after the race and we sat down in between two cars on a curb. I lost it. I just bawled. I was so dang happy that it was over.



This magnet symbolizes finishing to me. Sounds stupid, but it means alot. 

I swear, I am not constipated in this picture, I was on the verge of tears and didn't want to cry in front of this stranger that I asked to take our picture. haha


My pretty sweet medal. Only get this if you finished within the 3.5 time limit. I did that! 

All in all, I didn't enjoy it like that I hoped I would. We will see what the future holds for me with running after this. As for the days after, I was okay Sunday. I am notorious for getting dehydrated and I did not get dehydrated this time. I was sore and hurt. But nothing more than expected. Yesterday, HOLY SORENESS!!! Most moves were difficult, plus I didn't sleep very well at all.  As of this morning, I am a little sore. Not nearly as bad as yesterday, but sore.   I shall live!!

Yelp, that is my story.  Thank you for reading it. Hope everyone has a great day :)


3 comments:

  1. GREAT JOB! No one says you ever have to do it again! :) I'm not going to lie, your face you sent to A is pretty priceless, but I'm glad you had Julie and others to push you along. I've never ran more than 6.5 miles ever (my bum knee just says no), so you've done something I'll never attempt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A LOVES the face I sent him. He thought it was the funniest thing.
      I am glad its done though and finally I am not sore today!! yay. But now I need to work out. haha

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the accomplishment! I don't think I could ever do that but how amazing to be able to "check it off the list" and have done it! Go, girl! xx.

    ReplyDelete