Image Map

Monday, May 21, 2012

Pinterest Casserole

I decided to try a new casserole dish on Sunday afternoon. Its called Texan Ranch Chicken Casserole, and of course I got the recipe off Pinterest.  I took pictures while cooking it at several points, so here it is! 





Ingredients

  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 2 celery ribs, finely chopped ( I didn't not use this, bc I do NOT like celery!!) 
  • 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
  • 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained (Just bought Mild Rotel, Worked GREAT!)
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips (I Used  Whole Wheat Tortilla instead of corn)
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided (Just Regular Cheddar cheese as you can see in the picture)



Before you begin pre-heat oven to 350


Step 1:  Cook the chicken. (I think I made the chicken cubes a tad to big thought.)   Season  with Salt and Pepper. Then drain it and keep it to the side in a bowl. 



Step 2: Cut up the Onions, and Peppers (Celery as well)  Sautee them in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray in oil until crisp-tender. 







Step 3: Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. 








Step 4: Stir in the chicken, soups, tomatoes and chili powder. 






Step 5: After mixing it all together, Line the bottom of a 3-qt. baking dish with half of the tortilla strips; top with half of the chicken mixture and 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers. 



Step 6: Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Then Eat!! 







*** I actually put it in a 1 1/2 qt casserole dish, and froze the other half. It was enough for my roommate and I to have a couple helpings (Me more than her!) plus to bring some for lunch the next day. ***



Let me know what you think!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment