Image Map

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thug by Twitter

**This is my personal opinion**

 Seahawks vs. 49ers. Great game, great last play of the game, horrible post game interview from Richard Sherman, even worse were the peoples reactions to him. We had recorded the game, and was watching the end of it within 5-6 minutes of the game ending. I was keeping up on twitter to what was happening during the game. So I saw the reactions to Sherman's post game interview before I saw it. I was set up to hear a "Thug" yell and scream and talk mess. Yes, he was angry in the interview, and excited. He had just made the game winning play to go to the greatest football game of all time. The Super Bowl.

At first, I will admit. I judged him. I thought the same things that other people thought. I thought he was a thug for his words, but I am glad that I took the time the next several days to learn about him a little more. I am even happier that he took the time to explain himself. Even though, honestly, he didn't have to.

I read that he graduated from Stanford with his Bachelors and his Masters. I also read that when he was at Standford, he talked mess on the field.

but he made a statement that we shouldn't judge a man's character by what he does between the lines. But rather what he does for his family and community.

So my thought was, okay, the man got caught up in the moment. There is a little history between him and Crabtree. Then I saw the Mic'd up video of him at the game. After that play, Sherman went over to Crabtree, stuck his hand out to shake it and said "good game man" and Crabtree shoved Sherman in the face.

I think, I would be JUST as in the moment as Sherman was. He didn't go to his teammates first, he went to an opposing player that he already didn't get along with, and offered a peaceful gesture. Makes me totally view both people different. Crabtree is now in the negative light, while Sherman, I get it.

It also taught me that social media maybe the demise of humanity and having faith in people. I am guilty, I read something, I believed it, I judged.  Next time, I won't judge so quickly and will take the time to see what actually happened, rather than believe everything on Twitter or Facebook.

Has anyone else judged someone based on part of the story on Twitter or Facebook? What are your thoughts on Sherman? Even your thoughts of Twitter?

-Me!

1 comment:

  1. Yes. I think social media is the downfall of society., and actual conversations. I absolutely hate being with people who are on their phones constantly while out with friends or family.

    ReplyDelete